Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Philosophy of Teaching

Everyone has a passion. Teaching Spanish is mine. I have wanted to teach ever since I can remember and that may be why I have been told that I am a “born teacher”. Those who have really shaped me into the teacher I have become are those who have learned from me along the different walks of my life, my students. Much of my approach to teaching has developed as a result of what I have admired in my favorite teachers, which, in turn, reflect my personal values and beliefs. I believe that when students are valued and respected, they will be motivated to learn and succeed.

            My goal in teaching is to pass on to my students the beauty and richness of the Spanish language. I also encourage them to take risks, aiming for excellence, and go the extra mile. I want to spark their curiosity into learning about Hispanic cultures. To reach this end, I use the great advantages that technology brings into a foreign language classroom, including videos and songs in order to make Hispanic culture more accessible. I like to use the online components of our textbooks, overheads and Power Point presentations to reinforce what I teach in class.

            My methodology involves challenging students while making sure that those who are struggling get the support and encouragement they need in order to succeed. I engage students in their own learning by promoting not only the individual, but also pair and group work. As an instructor, I am passionate about what I do and I am always informed, well organized and prepared, wearing a big smile and a cheerful attitude. I believe in being respectful, sensitive and fair at all times, giving the same opportunities to everyone alike. My interactive way of teaching has taught me how to tailor my classes according to each different group. Through professional development, such as the Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) Training, the International Teaching Assistants (ITA) program and careful observation, I am able to teach in different ways so I can deliver the same type of information to a classroom of students with different learning styles.

            Spanish is not a subject that is learned passively. That is why I design lesson plans that are fun and interesting. In order to make the most out of class, I require that students spend a good amount of time on homework and other assignments. It is for this reason that I have high expectations for all my students. I expect them to try their personal best and to become active in their learning process. I believe that my enthusiastic and interactive approach to teaching Spanish allows students to learn the language while being interested and motivated in the subject. My students know how much I love teaching them, which triggers their interest and motivation to learn this wonderful language, and that is why teaching Spanish is my passion.

1 comment:

  1. hola eres de argentina y sos melli de marta? soy Alejandro odoguardi de argentina quizás me recuerdes abrazo te dejo mi mail soberbioale@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete